Here it is!
The 2016 Vermont Mac and Cheese Challenge winning recipe!
Vermont Maple Sriracha took home 1st Place for Gluten Free Mac and Cheese and 2nd Place People’s Choice!
What You Need
Mac and Cheese
- 1 lbs Tinkyada rice pasta or your favorite brand/shape of pasta
- 1oz salt (5 teaspoons)
- 1.5oz salted butter
- 2.5oz Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 quart water
- 1 Tbs roasted chicken base or vegetable base
- 8oz heavy cream
- 5.5oz diced red bell pepper, fresh or frozen
- 7.5oz Vermont Farmstead Alehouse Cheddar
- 1.5oz Vermont Farmstead Hot Pepper Windsor Dale
- 1.5oz Vermont Farmstead Cheddar
- 2.5oz Pecorino Romano
- 2.5oz Parmesan Reggiano
- 2oz Vermont Maple Sriracha
- 2oz Whitney’s Castleton Crackers Gluten Free Cheddar Crisp
- 2oz Whitney’s Castleton Crackers Gluten Free Hot Pepper Cheddar Crisp
- 4oz Vermont Maple Srirachashews
- 1oz Parmesan Romano
- 1oz melted butter
What To Do
- Fill a large pot with water and salt the water with 1oz (5 teaspoons) of salt.
- Cook pasta according to the box instructions.
- Shred all cheeses, measure out grated cheeses, mix all cheeses together and set aside.
- Make the roux. Melt 1.5oz butter in the pan. Add 2.5oz GF flour, whisking constantly, on low heat. Wait for the mixture to bubble and turn a light golden color. DO NOT BURN.
- In a separate pot, bring 1/2 quart of water and 8oz heavy cream to a slow boil. Whisk in the 1 Tablespoon of chicken base.
- In another pot, place the reserved 1/2 quart of water and 5.5oz of red peppers. Heat thoroughly.
- Slowly add the liquid mixture into the roux, whisking constantly.
- Turn up to medium heat and mix well until sauce thickens.
- Slowly add in cheese until everything is melted and smooth.
- Fold the peppers and water into the cheese sauce.
- Add 2 oz VMS and mix well.
- Combine with the cooked pasta and place in a 9×9 or 8×13 baking dish.
- Using a food processor, crush 2oz Cheddar and 2oz Hot Pepper crisps until uniform in texture.
- Do the same to the 4oz Vermont Maple Srirachashews, but be careful not to over grind or you’ll make cashew butter!
- Mix cashews and crisps together.
- Add 1oz Parmesan cheese and mix together.
- Melt 1oz butter, pour over crumbs and mix.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over mac and cheese.
Bake the mac and cheese at 325˚F for roughly 45 minutes, until the cheese is hot and bubbly around the edges.